The average human brain weighs about three pounds. Picture three pounds of bees encased in your skull, buzzing out of your ears. You’re welcome. Thankfully, Select 3D Jam Team Three Pounds of Bees has no intention of inducing gamers into this nightmare scenario. Rather, their goal is to bring the power of pollination to your fingertips.
Team Three Pounds of Bees places its home base, Toronto, at the center of the game’s narrative landscape. The project, Bee Hands, begins by granting you power over a single, fearless bee – buzzing around in the damp cold of an early Canadian spring.
As the game progresses, players will “dance commands” over the Leap Motion Controller to gain traction over the rest of the hive, gaining the power to navigate the entire swarm straight into the glow of summer pollination.
Bees’ all-female development team is a force to be reckoned with – a veritable powerhouse of artistic and engineering talent:
- Software developer Alex Leitch is a cofounder of Site 3 colaboratory, known for pyrotechnics (The Rainbow Gun) and community organizing (Dames Making Games).
- Fellow Site 3 denizen and laser enthusiast Lindy Wilkins makes installations and experiences like Escape the Room come to life.
- Maker and developer Nadine Lessio began her career in web design and art games, and has since gone on to innovate in the SMS space and create knife-throwing interfaces.
- Animator and illustrator Yifat Shaik, a Bento Miso game jam veteran, brings alluring character design chops to the table.
- Lastly, there’s Alanna Predko, known for building tiny portable houses, hidden tea parties, game design, and illustration.
Suffice it to say, we’re excited to see what these gals create. Follow along with their progress on itch.io, right here.